Clarence Emory Bates
Clarence Bates was born on a farm in Lane County Oregon. He attended Cornish School, Seattle, the University of Oregon, Carmel Art Institute and the University of California. He was an instructor of sculpture at the University of Oregon in 1938 and Director of Fine Art at Oregon art centers in 1939 and 1940. He supervised arts and crafts programs for the American Red Cross during WWII in the Pacific in 1944 & 1945. He was head of the Art Department at Santa Catalina School from 1965 to 1975 and a member of the Carmel Art Association since 1946.
He received numerous awards for painting and sculpture including 2nd Place, Northwest Artists’ Annual, 1936; Oregon selection, National Architect League Show, New York, 1938; Honorable Mention, Oakland Annual, 1942, 1943 (sculpture); Bronze Medal, Oakland Annual, 1949; and San Francisco Trophy and Blue Ribbon, Monterey County Fair 1961 (oil painting).
Image of Clarence Bates credit:
Photographer: Minor White
The Minor White Archive, Princeton University Art Museum, bequest of Minor White